Monday, February 20, 2012

LSN Issues..

As a standard backup plan I am making Full backup, differential backup and
transactional backup. I had some instances where the SQL Server was throwing
error while restoring the transaction log related to log serial number. Some
thing it was saying too early to restore.. Or restore the previous log
before restoring this.
Anybody suggest me on what considerations I should make not to break this
LSN?
In summary, what jobs or routine that I should not run to make sure that my
transactional logs are recoverable?
SQL 2K.
Thanks
Smith
If you stay in full (or bulk logged) recovery mode, then it shouldn't be able to break the log chain
sequence. If you see such a case, you have hit a bug in SQL Server and it is time to hunt KB and
possibly open a case with MS Support.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
"Smith" <Hose_smith_Ireland@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23EAZvJrcFHA.4040@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> As a standard backup plan I am making Full backup, differential backup and
> transactional backup. I had some instances where the SQL Server was throwing
> error while restoring the transaction log related to log serial number. Some
> thing it was saying too early to restore.. Or restore the previous log
> before restoring this.
> Anybody suggest me on what considerations I should make not to break this
> LSN?
> In summary, what jobs or routine that I should not run to make sure that my
> transactional logs are recoverable?
> SQL 2K.
> Thanks
> Smith
>
|||Thanks for your answer.
One more clarification,
when you say "If you stay in full (or bulk logged) recovery mode", does it
means that after fullbackup I should not switch between recovery modes? Let
us say I switch between recovery modes (full or bulk logged) If I take a
fullbackup should it be fine?
or
After switching between should I restart the SQL Server service?
Thanks,
Smith
"Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi@.hotmail.nomail.com> wrote in
message news:OKQ$lwwcFHA.612@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> If you stay in full (or bulk logged) recovery mode, then it shouldn't be
able to break the log chain
> sequence. If you see such a case, you have hit a bug in SQL Server and it
is time to hunt KB and[vbcol=seagreen]
> possibly open a case with MS Support.
> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
> http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
>
> "Smith" <Hose_smith_Ireland@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23EAZvJrcFHA.4040@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
and[vbcol=seagreen]
throwing[vbcol=seagreen]
Some[vbcol=seagreen]
this[vbcol=seagreen]
my
>
|||You can switch between full and bulk logged. But if you go to simple, you break the log chain
sequence. No need to restart.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
Blog: http://solidqualitylearning.com/blogs/tibor/
"Smith" <Hose_smith_Ireland@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23945kL2cFHA.3488@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for your answer.
> One more clarification,
> when you say "If you stay in full (or bulk logged) recovery mode", does it
> means that after fullbackup I should not switch between recovery modes? Let
> us say I switch between recovery modes (full or bulk logged) If I take a
> fullbackup should it be fine?
> or
> After switching between should I restart the SQL Server service?
> Thanks,
> Smith
>
>
> "Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi@.hotmail.nomail.com> wrote in
> message news:OKQ$lwwcFHA.612@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> able to break the log chain
> is time to hunt KB and
> and
> throwing
> Some
> this
> my
>

No comments:

Post a Comment