Saturday, February 25, 2012

Macro

Our IT department says to me all a stored procedure is, is a Macro. This is what Our network tech says to me. There are days I just want slap these people. This is the same one that made the Flat File comment, I think databases are very important and can be very complex I get annoyed when they IT people make them seems as if they are of no importance at all.

Venting again sorryHey Pat, it's your turf! Tell'em!|||An operating system is really just a big assembler macro to support the important stuff that users really need (applications). When you are dealing with "experts" that make those kind of comments and expect you to take them seriously, it is a sure sign of trouble.

While you can use a stored procedure much like a macro, you can use a C++ compiler the same way. That doesn't really say squat about the abilities of either the stored procedure or the compiler, just about how they are being used at the moment.

You just need to give the net-weenies the credit they are due. If they earn your respect, that's a good thing. If not, adapt and move on.

-PatP|||Thank you Pat, your absolutely right. Its not even worth the stress, I think what annoyed me the most is how he made it seem as though it was a demeaning and minuscucle task. These people make comments like this on a daily basis, they think DBA's are a waste of time and money. Whatever|||I get the feeling of deja vu all over again. We've had this discussion before, haven't we?

The hard-core net-weenie likes to think that they are masters of all that they survey. They like it even better when they can convince others that they are masters of all that they survey. It takes a lot to bring them back to the real world, and some of them won't survive the trip.

They've lost sight of the fact that we geeks simply make it possible for the average joe users to get their jobs done. True that a real geek can make it possible for a thousand users to do the work of 10,000 users without the geek, but they are still just a geek when you get right down to it.

A good geek that knows their stuff, and works hard to improve life for everyone around them is incredibly valuable. An average geek that does a respectable job is still quite valuable. A PITA is a PITA, regardless of their GQ (Geek Quotient).

Keep in mind that a geek almost never provides a deliverable of any kind to the client, so by themselves a geek is worth nothing at all to the company. The only real value that a geek has is what they can do to make life easier/faster/more productive for the average joes. A geek that stands in the way of the average joe (unless they are enforcing legal or company policy limits), is probably a liability instead of an asset.

-PatP|||thank you Pat that valuable information for someone like me who is new to the World of the "Geeks". Well fine I'll just adapt and move on. Even though I'm just a Mini Geek and soon to be a Major Geek, I'm Dam Proud of it. Of course I'm one of those females who pushes the cute guys away, in order to get a better view of Programming Geeks.

LOL :)|||What Dam are you proud of? Or, what dam describes the level of pride you feel.

I'm a confused geek.|||Now Derrick! I suspect the lady meant the other flavor of damn, and not only that, but you darn well know it! ;)

-PatP|||Oh why do I even bother...I'm dam proud to be a GEEK...lol

Oh Nevermind|||Sort of like the first time I heard my dentist talking about a "rubber dam"... Heck, I always KNEW those things were dams!

-PatP

No comments:

Post a Comment