Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Maintenance Plan does not show up under Management Folder

Hi.
I am running SQL 2005 SP2 and when I connect through Visual Studio I do not
see the maintenance plan option under Management. I have tried connecting
with the SA account and my AD account and neither one has this option. They
are both assigned the role of sysadmin. Any thoughts?
Thanks
AlAre you connecting to Express Edition? Does the Maintenance Plans folder
show up when connecting through Management Studio?
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP
"Al Stephenson" <AlStephenson@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0130F16D-725C-47B4-8E86-EED40B8D45A0@.microsoft.com...
> Hi.
> I am running SQL 2005 SP2 and when I connect through Visual Studio I do
> not
> see the maintenance plan option under Management. I have tried connecting
> with the SA account and my AD account and neither one has this option.
> They
> are both assigned the role of sysadmin. Any thoughts?
> Thanks
> Al|||Looks like instead of SQL 2005 Standard we are running SQL 2005 Express. Thi
s
is part of a Sharepoint install. Will Express support maintenance plans? It
does not show up under Management Studio.
Thanks
"Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]" wrote:

> Are you connecting to Express Edition? Does the Maintenance Plans folder
> show up when connecting through Management Studio?
> --
> Aaron Bertrand
> SQL Server MVP
>
> "Al Stephenson" <AlStephenson@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:0130F16D-725C-47B4-8E86-EED40B8D45A0@.microsoft.com...
>
>|||> Looks like instead of SQL 2005 Standard we are running SQL 2005 Express.
> This
> is part of a Sharepoint install. Will Express support maintenance plans?
> It
> does not show up under Management Studio.
No, and if the node is there in Management Studio Express Edition, it is
likely only there to manage other instances... since Express does not have
Agent, which is a requirement for maintenance plans.
Andrew Kelly recently pointed out some links to help you achieve the same
kind of functionality through other means:
Backing up Express
http://blogs.msdn.com/rogerwolterbl.../13/575974.aspx
http://www.sqldbatips.com/showarticle.asp?ID=27
Automating Database maintenance in SQL 2005 Express Edition Part I
http://www.sqldbatips.com/showarticle.asp?ID=29
Automating Database maintenance in SQL 2005 Express Edition Part II
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP|||Thanks for the info. I do have one other instance of SQL 2005 Standard
edition running and I connected to it with Management Studio and I see the
Maintenance Plan folder but when I right click on it the only option is to
refresh. I have sysadmin role assigned to my AD account and SQL is configure
d
for SQL and Windows Authentication. What am I missing?
"Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]" wrote:

> No, and if the node is there in Management Studio Express Edition, it is
> likely only there to manage other instances... since Express does not have
> Agent, which is a requirement for maintenance plans.
> Andrew Kelly recently pointed out some links to help you achieve the same
> kind of functionality through other means:
> Backing up Express
> http://blogs.msdn.com/rogerwolterbl.../13/575974.aspx
> http://www.sqldbatips.com/showarticle.asp?ID=27
> Automating Database maintenance in SQL 2005 Express Edition Part I
> http://www.sqldbatips.com/showarticle.asp?ID=29
> Automating Database maintenance in SQL 2005 Express Edition Part II
> --
> Aaron Bertrand
> SQL Server MVP
>
>|||Are you using Management Studio Express Edition, or Management Studio?
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP
"Al Stephenson" <AlStephenson@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:64F1F0C8-8A53-4299-9D7F-C165F90BB515@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Thanks for the info. I do have one other instance of SQL 2005 Standard
> edition running and I connected to it with Management Studio and I see the
> Maintenance Plan folder but when I right click on it the only option is to
> refresh. I have sysadmin role assigned to my AD account and SQL is
> configured
> for SQL and Windows Authentication. What am I missing?
> "Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]" wrote:
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment