Friday, March 30, 2012

Maintenance plan issue

I am using Enterprise manager on one server to manage SQL (MSDE) running on
another server. Am I OK so far?
When I create a maintenance plan for all databases on the MSDE server, and
set it for keeping the backup for X days, next the dropdown box which
should, I think, give options of hours, days, etc. is blank. Also, when I
put the ext3ension in as, say bak, save t6he plan then go back into it to
look at its properties, both my schedule and the extension are blank.
Any ideas ? Or, am I wrong to use EM for MSDE '
ThanksAs far as the license issue, I am still confused by when you can and cannot
use MSDE and Enterprise Mangler together. The safest thing is to either:
A) Do not use MSDE. Personally, I consolidate all back-end SQL stuff that
normally runs against MSDE onto a single Standard (soon to be Workgroup)
edition of SQL Server.
B) Use SQL Web Administrator
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C039A798-C57A-419E-ACBC-2A332CB7F959&displaylang=en).
It's free and it's legal.
Geoff N. Hiten
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Senior Database Adminstrator
"Dave Mc" <DaveMc@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4EDBBC5E-C589-47E6-AF8B-54FE78F6C510@.microsoft.com...
>I am using Enterprise manager on one server to manage SQL (MSDE) running on
> another server. Am I OK so far?
> When I create a maintenance plan for all databases on the MSDE server, and
> set it for keeping the backup for X days, next the dropdown box which
> should, I think, give options of hours, days, etc. is blank. Also, when I
> put the ext3ension in as, say bak, save t6he plan then go back into it to
> look at its properties, both my schedule and the extension are blank.
> Any ideas ? Or, am I wrong to use EM for MSDE '
> Thanks|||I am not as concerned with licensing as I am with the technical feasibilty of
using EM to set up maintenance plans for a machine running MSDE as opposed to
full SQL. It seems like it just doesn't work with MSDE and that may be by
design.
"Geoff N. Hiten" wrote:
> As far as the license issue, I am still confused by when you can and cannot
> use MSDE and Enterprise Mangler together. The safest thing is to either:
> A) Do not use MSDE. Personally, I consolidate all back-end SQL stuff that
> normally runs against MSDE onto a single Standard (soon to be Workgroup)
> edition of SQL Server.
> B) Use SQL Web Administrator
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C039A798-C57A-419E-ACBC-2A332CB7F959&displaylang=en).
> It's free and it's legal.
> Geoff N. Hiten
> Microsoft SQL Server MVP
> Senior Database Adminstrator
>
> "Dave Mc" <DaveMc@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:4EDBBC5E-C589-47E6-AF8B-54FE78F6C510@.microsoft.com...
> >I am using Enterprise manager on one server to manage SQL (MSDE) running on
> > another server. Am I OK so far?
> >
> > When I create a maintenance plan for all databases on the MSDE server, and
> > set it for keeping the backup for X days, next the dropdown box which
> > should, I think, give options of hours, days, etc. is blank. Also, when I
> > put the ext3ension in as, say bak, save t6he plan then go back into it to
> > look at its properties, both my schedule and the extension are blank.
> > Any ideas ? Or, am I wrong to use EM for MSDE '
> >
> > Thanks
>
>|||Technically, you can use Enterprise Manager with MSDE. Even with EM, the
wizards may not work correctly with MSDE. The latest Books On-Line contains
much better content on MSDE than the original release BOL. You can download
it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp
"Dave Mc" <DaveMc@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5B0A3223-1555-4532-B012-9BF782154AA6@.microsoft.com...
>I am not as concerned with licensing as I am with the technical feasibilty
>of
> using EM to set up maintenance plans for a machine running MSDE as opposed
> to
> full SQL. It seems like it just doesn't work with MSDE and that may be by
> design.
>
> "Geoff N. Hiten" wrote:
>> As far as the license issue, I am still confused by when you can and
>> cannot
>> use MSDE and Enterprise Mangler together. The safest thing is to either:
>> A) Do not use MSDE. Personally, I consolidate all back-end SQL stuff
>> that
>> normally runs against MSDE onto a single Standard (soon to be Workgroup)
>> edition of SQL Server.
>> B) Use SQL Web Administrator
>> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C039A798-C57A-419E-ACBC-2A332CB7F959&displaylang=en).
>> It's free and it's legal.
>> Geoff N. Hiten
>> Microsoft SQL Server MVP
>> Senior Database Adminstrator
>>
>> "Dave Mc" <DaveMc@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:4EDBBC5E-C589-47E6-AF8B-54FE78F6C510@.microsoft.com...
>> >I am using Enterprise manager on one server to manage SQL (MSDE) running
>> >on
>> > another server. Am I OK so far?
>> >
>> > When I create a maintenance plan for all databases on the MSDE server,
>> > and
>> > set it for keeping the backup for X days, next the dropdown box which
>> > should, I think, give options of hours, days, etc. is blank. Also,
>> > when I
>> > put the ext3ension in as, say bak, save t6he plan then go back into it
>> > to
>> > look at its properties, both my schedule and the extension are blank.
>> > Any ideas ? Or, am I wrong to use EM for MSDE '
>> >
>> > Thanks
>>

No comments:

Post a Comment